After Periodontal Treatment
For pain or discomfort you may take over the counter pain medication.
It is advisable to eat only soft food for the first 24 hours, and avoid any hard or spicy food which could cause irritation.
- Drink plenty of water during the first 24 hours- at least 8 glasses are recommended.
- Place cold towels or an ice bag to the outside of your face in the treated area. Apply for 15 minutes, then remove for 15 minutes during the first 4-6 hours.
- On the morning after the treatment, rinse mouth with warm salt water ( 1/2 teaspoon salt to a glass of warm water.) Repeat this several times daily.
- Brush teeth gently to help remove plaque that has started to form. We suggest using fluoridated, tartar control toothpaste.
- Don't use floss or other home tooth care products, such as toothpicks or electric toothbrushes, until the day after your treatment. Begin very gently at first.
Because it is very common for periodontal diseases to recur, patients should have regular checkups to monitor progress and prevent recurrences.